This recipe has become one of our family’s frugal favorites and is a modification of a Spinach Rice Casserole from Tammy’s Recipes, which she adapted from a recipe on a bag of Fresh Express Spinach.
This makes a great meatless meal.
I changed the name to Greens and Rice Casserole because I’ve used canned collard greens and canned turnip greens (instead of spinach) the last two times.
For a side dish, consider making only one-third of the following recipe – which is really three batches!
27 oz can of greens
3 tsp dried onion (or 6 Tbsp fresh, minced onion)
3 cups cooked whole-grain rice (measured after cooking, not before)
3 cups shredded cheese
1 cup “broth” from canned greens
6 eggs, beaten
½ tsp salt (optional)
In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Pour into three greased 8x8-inch square baking dishes. (Or use one 9x13 dish and one 8x8 baking dish.)
Bake at 325 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes, until set in the middle. (Test with a fork.)
- Use either cheddar or mozzarella – or a combination of both.
- Sprinkle a generous portion of extra (mozzarella) cheese on top!
- Add ½ cup of fresh grated carrot before baking. (I’m always trying to add extra veggies!)
- Cook up a batch of whole-grain rice ahead of time and freeze 1-cup portions in freezer bags; pull out 1-cup portions as needed.
- I’m already thinking of another modification: substitute chopped or grated zucchini for the greens...