Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Working on building a stash of cloth diapers...

Previous to our very messy adventures (during a return to disposable diapers), we had made diapering with only six cloth diapers work because we were on our own for a week and had easy access to laundry equipment. That experiment, however, emphasized the necessity of having enough cloth diapers on hand to make laundering more efficient; we were washing a small load of diapers every day that week.

And that brings me back to the Changing Diapers, Changing Minds Program...

I did end up returning over half of the cloth diapers we tried out. Only one was a matter of definite dislike, others were a matter of preference given our current life of travel, and still others would soon be outgrown. (Because our tall “Little Man” tends to be right on the top edge of fitted diaper sizes, the “one size” options seem better for us overall.)

At the end of the 21-day trial period, I decided to keep:
  • the SmartiPants pocket diaper (with one microfleece insert)
  • the two BumGenius pocket diapers (with double microfleece inserts)
  • the KissaLuvs (insert only)
In my opinion, the greatest benefit of this Changing Diapers, Changing Minds Program is that it allows potential customers (like me!) to honestly try cloth diapering – without paying bunches in shipping and handling – in order to find out:
1. whether or not cloth diapering will work in the first place, and
2. which diaper styles we like and which ones we don’t.
So, here’s how “Changing Diapers, Changing Minds” is working out for me:

I started with $150, given as a gift. My goal has been to stick as close as possible to that sum. I paid the $10 program fee plus $10 in shipping to return unwanted diapers via an insured service; Jillians Drawers gave me in-store credit for the returns – plus free shipping on my next order. I was excited to discover that “gently used” diapers are resold at reduced prices. (What a smart idea!)

Per Jillians Drawers, all “gently used” items have been used for 30 days or less and can be returned within seven days of receipt. Diapers in “excellent condition” have been used for four weeks or less and have no visible staining.

I plan to use the $76 in credit to buy the following gently-used diapers:
  • one more SmartiPants (One Size) – $11.75
  • one Thirsties Duo Diaper (Size 2) – $13.25
  • one FuzziBuns (Medium) – $13.50
I also ordered the Diaper Cover Sampler (Medium) – $42.95
  • one Bummis Super Whisper Wrap
  • one Prorap Classic Diaper Cover
  • one Thirsties Diaper Cover (the newest version)
  • one Imse Vimse Organic Diaper Cover
(Since the gently-used Thirsties Duo Wraps were out of stock, I'm glad I discovered this option which is actually better value! I plan to use these covers with the KissaLuvs and the prefolds I already have.)

I’m thinking that the Thirsties Duo Diaper (with Velcro tabs) and FuzziBuns (“fitted”) will be the best options for babysitters or grandparents, etc. who may be unfamiliar with modern cloth diapers (in other words, folks who probably won’t want to try to figure out adjustable snaps, etc. while trying to get a diaper on a wriggling baby!)

When the used diapers arrive, I’ll have a total of (at least) thirteen combinations – in addition to a stack of prefolds (previously given to me) that can be stuffed into the diaper covers. I should then be “all set” with enough to cloth diaper full-time, washing larger loads of diapers every third day (or so). As I found out last week, it’s hard to maximize on the money-saving potential of cloth diapering when you have to wash small loads every day...

Stay tuned for a detailed review of the Changing Diapers, Changing Minds Program...

No comments:

Post a Comment