Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Opportunities...

I'm talking about opportunities to remember that my reason for existence is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever!

Application to daily living:
So long as bargain hunting and couponing fit that mindset (assisting me in efforts to glorify God by being a wise steward of resources He has entrusted to my care, looking for opportunities to minister to others by sharing what He has given, etc.), bargain hunting and couponing are good things. But when they tempt me to forget those truths, bargain hunting and couponing are not virtues.

I had two opportunities to remember these things this past week...

Walgreens:
I remembered too late on Monday evening that my $2.00 Register Rewards expired that day – the same RR that refused to scan – not just once, but twice! Argh! And the remembrance became an opportunity to choose contentment.

Publix:
While checking out on Monday evening, I inquired about the penny item. The cashier informed me that I did not qualify because I did not have at least $10 in purchases. I told her that I'd recently learned that the one-cent item itself could be included in that $10 total. She asked the girl bagging groceries, and they both agreed that my understanding was erroneous. Would I like to get something else and reach the $10 total? They kindly kept my groceries there while I grabbed a gallon of milk and a pack of gum on clearance in order to reach the $3.00 balance needed. "Are Publix stores independently owned?" I asked while checking out the second time. (Owner-managers certainly have the prerogative to decide their own store policies.) They answered in the negative and wondered which local stores interpreted the penny item coupon as I'd just learned to do.

We made small talk and parted on good terms. The experience wasn't negative, only surprising, and I was thankful for God's working in my heart. My dear husband puts it practically:
"During these incredible bargaining transactions, do you conduct yourself in such a way as to be able to give cashiers a Gospel tract or invite them to our church?" (I'm so thankful for him and his practical theology!)

Besides all this, my loving Heavenly Father promises:
"My God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus."
~ Philippians 4:19

No comments:

Post a Comment